Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Garden Failures....


Bonsai zucchini.  There is such a thing.  It has been growing in my backyard, complete with little teeny, tiny zuchs, just the right size for Ten's Polly Pockets.  You know you are experiencing a garden failure when you are an avid vegetable grower and you have a bag of zucchini in the fridge that you just purchased at the local farmstand!!  I took this photo near the end of July with my flip flop  just to show how stunted my plant is.  I planted the usually unruly zucchini in the old strawberry patch--without first amending the soil.  By the time the photo was taken the thing should have been taking over its corner of the garden and producing baseball bats while we were hanging out at the lake.  My last great garden failure was a few years ago when the pole beans sprouted in depleted soil and turned a sickly yellow color.  By immediately amending them with the rabbit cage compost they greened up and grew into lovely beans.  The zucchini plant is responding to the worm bin compost I have worked in around it, the organic fertilizer, and a few swigs of compost tea.   It's kind of a fun experiment, but I think I will have to keep buying zucchini for a few more weeks.  In the meantime, the carrot area was overcrowded with volunteer lettuce and I have a gajillion beets.  A gajillion!  Hmmm.  We're not super big beet eaters.  

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Aww, it's a cute lil thing.

And here we have a huge THING voluntarily growing that I think might be a pumpkin plant. Time will tell.

Rabbit cage debris makes for GOOD growing plants, yes indeed. We have that in our compost pile. Powerful stuff.

Beets, yes, certainly a now and again thing. They are pretty, though, when all cooked up.

I hope your little baby grows into a big strong plant soon!

(Saw you at church Sunday and when I headed over to where you were you were gone. Next time, maybe. Next time. :)

thebookbaglady said...

I have a huge thing too--I thought it was an acorn squash, but the acorn 'squashie things' are white. Do those start out white? I did toss a few white/greenish/yellowish squash in the compost (I think)--maybe that's what they are. "Mystery Squash" for now. :-)

I didn't see you on Sunday! This week we'll be there doing our 'kid duty'.

Cherie said...

We were out of town on Sunday. Maybe next time? I'll look for you.

I'm still not sure what our mystery thing is. What fun gardens we have this year!

The hot weather has pleased my tomatoes and they are going crazy ripening the fruit. It's wonderful! Yours, too, I'll bet!