Sunday, April 20, 2008

Snow White...and Grumpy

After seeing snow falling through the spaces in the curtains and an unusually light, glowy 6:50 a.m. maybe a better name for this fairy tale would be Snow White and Intrigued.  This is what we awoke to today....surely, it must be a fairy tale.  After all, today is April 20.  April 20 in Western Oregon.   Like, 500 feet above sea level, marine climate, long growing season, rarely snows part of Western Oregon.


   
All week, as I've dreamed of the gardening I want to do, the local weatherman has been discussing this late winter storm.  The temperatures were supposed to plummet into the upper 20s (not sure if they actually have) and I have been fretting over potential frost damage.  The apples, cherries, raspberries and strawberries have bloomed and last weekend's sun and warm temperatures sent the bees a-buzzin'--maybe it would be a good fruit year.  Then came the winterish forecast--that made me grumpy.  

This weekend has actually turned out the be a busy one and, I must admit, the weather has been intriguing.  Yesterday it didn't freeze and we had several hailstorms.  Maybe this snow blanket has protected the garden from Jack Frost and I can keep dreaming of the possibilities of this year's garden. 

Here are some of the edibles that having been awakening this spring....  









2 comments:

Cherie said...

My gardening efforts have been put on hold too - waiting waiting waiting for assurance that my little darlings will not freeze to death.

Lovely photos!

deanna said...

Nice growing things. I hope we've seen the last of snow!