Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter Break....

It has been a busy fall.  Between teaching the Classical Conversations 5th/6th grade class at our local program, homeschooling (and all that entails), managing family schedules, homemaking, and determining to make a daily walk a priority, it has been the busiest time in my parenting journey.  With Classical Conversations on a five week break I have decided to tone down our schedule and to dig out from a busy fall....summer.....the remodel last winter/spring....where do I begin?  

A winter storm has settled into our area and El Professor is looking toward another 'snow day' today.  It has been a welcome time of having our family home, classes cancelled, activities cancelled, and play time plentiful...for all of us.  In the past few days I have done some very much needed cleaning and organizing.  In midst of it all, we have 'set up' Christmas.

When the kids were young we decided to feature nativity scenes when we decorated for Christmas.  We also celebrate Advent, and the candle lighting/scripture reading/conversation has become a warm, welcome tradition. 

I couldn't bring myself to put away the gourds and squash that grew wild in our garden this summer/fall.  

My older sister gave us this 'Advent' calendar countdown several years ago.  Stuffing the doors with small treats, treasures, or a quick treasure hunt is one of our favorite traditions.

Our 'wild tree' has worked out well.  It smells wonderful.  We think it might  be a 'white fir'.  



Setting up the Willow Tree nativity scene is the kids' favorite activity.  My parents gave us pieces of the set over several Christmases.   
Today I think I'll tackle my desk..........


2 comments:

Cherie said...

Festive, warm homey photos depicting a close, loving family with a very creative mommy.

Loved it!

deanna said...

It all looks lovely. So glad you get the break, and that hubby has one, unexpectedly, too. Enjoy!