Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bounty....

The forecast--low 30s. 








It has been a busy, bustling two weeks with school and a little foray out of town to my parent's mountain cabin.  One of the busy-making things is my favorite, though...getting out in the garden and gathering 'the crops'.  Early this morning I went into the garage to start a new load of laundry and had to smile (not at the laundry--ugh).  The counter out there has several bowls of tomatoes and various peppers.  El Professor loves all things pepper-related and we give him pepper plants every year for Father's Day.  This year I planted quite a variety.  We've chopped and frozen bags and bags of different colored Bells which work well in recipes that call for 'diced green chilis'.  There are Italian Sweets which look like hot peppers when they ripen because they are long and red.  There are also several hotties such as Anaheim Chilis, Habaneros, and Cayennes.  Each year we dry peppers on plates, turning them every few days and tossing any that begin to mold, but this year I'm going to string several of them on dental floss instead. 

About that forecast...this might be the weekend that that garden dies.  All except for this...


I planted the winter lettuce a few weeks ago and some of it has doubled in size.  Late yesterday I put plastic  over the hoops...I hope the slugs don't move in.  





2 comments:

Two B's said...

I came across your blog and wanted to comment on your photographs and how wonderful your colors come across! It (almost) makes me long for 4 seasons...since I am in Central Florida. We don't get snow but that's okay with me!
Great Stuff, thanks for sharing!

Cherie said...

Things of beauty!! Wonderful.

I plucked all my peppers, too. Don't have nearly as many as you or as large a garden, but the satisfaction is the same. My kitchen counter is covered with baskets of drying basil - had to harvest all of it, too before the frost claims it - and tomatoes, drying onions, and squashes beautifying the house.

It's just something, isn't it. Harvest.