Friday, September 5, 2008

Jiminy Cricket...it's time for school!

I wish I would have seen this.....

Instead of this......

on my bedroom wall, right above the headboard.  

Actually, I'm glad it wasn't a spider.  It all started with a hilarious report from Thirteen the other morning as I was getting ready for a tutor meeting to plan our first day of 'school' as a part of the new Classical Conversations group in our area.  I was getting out of the shower when there was a knock on the bathroom door.  (Even at ten and thirteen the kids' magic of suddenly needing mom when the bathroom door is shut or there is a phone call continues to baffle me. )
A report ensued.  It went something like this....
"Mom, I need to inform you that there are 29 crickets loose in the house."
I replied, through the bathroom door, something like, 
"Umm.  OK."
The report continued, through the bathrooom door.
"I bought 30 crickets at the pet store and I put them  in the bug house. There's a hole in the bug house."
I answered, logically, through the bathroom door,
"Well, put tape over the hole." 
What was I thinking?  
Something along the lines of, "Thank goodness it wasn't spiders."
Why the crickets?  This week Thirteen used his earnings from watering a neighbor's yard to buy one of these...

He has been piecing together the habitat all week.  A little cart before the horse, might I add.  "Autumn" is living in a Steralite tub with a board over the top.  She has the mandatory light, and a few necessary crickets.  

As for the crickets in the house?  I think there are about 21 now.  We've found several in our room and today I found one on the wall by Thirteen's room.  

The tutor meeting was immensely helpful and the first day of Classical Conversations (on Thursday) went great!  

2 comments:

deanna said...

I'll take crickets over spiders any day, too. Great reminder of the bathroom interruption days...sigh. You won't miss them (at least, not for that reason). I'm glad school has begun well.

Anonymous said...

That's funny! Brings a new meaning to "bed bugs!" We had lizards too for a short time and I hated feeding them the little creepy crawlies...but yes, I'd agree that spiders are TONS worse!