Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Incredulous about this......




These two gas stations are among the cheapest I have seen in the area...and, still!  It is an interesting time in our economy.

We bought our current house five years ago.  It was wrapped in dying grass and a lot of red bark-o-mulch.  As excited as I was, I was grieving the lack of anything edible in the yard (save the roses, dandelions and GIGANTIC squirrel corn plant that rose up out of the bark-o-mulch desert).  Before we moved in (the house was an abandoned 'repo') I planted a small lettuce patch.  The following spring we began in earnest to create a vegetable and herb garden like we had enjoyed at our previous house.  Sometimes I get tired of washing muddy lettuce, but I am so thankful that I have so much of it to wash right now.  

In this interesting economy, I am not saving any space in the garden for 'drying flowers'.  I have fiddled in the past few years with larkspur, globe amaranth and straw flowers to dry with all of the lavender we have.   This year, I am thinking 'victory garden' and 'localvore'.

Hopeful about this....

  

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Why is it that the sight of your veggie garden has cheered me so? I don't know. But it's a glorious sight, to see food you've planted and cared for growing so healthily. Your lettuce is ahead of mine. Mine is still in diapers so to speak. But it makes me happy nonetheless.

Victory Garden is a term used around here nowadays, too.

And those gas prices - mercy me! We've even had our car tampered with and gas stolen. Glad Tom is a mechanic and could find the part at a junk yard to replace the damaged feeder hose. Now we park out of reach of 'children'.